[Opensim-dev] PhysX Integration into OpenSim

Michael Emory Cerquoni nebadon2025 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 02:42:22 UTC 2015

GPU is not required for PhysX there is a cpu level it can operate at as
well, and while GPu support is good, I would also be surprised if
OpenSimulator could actually fully utilize a GPU before mono would barf
anyway, mono can only handle so much threading and even offloading all of
that processing to the GPU, all that data ultimately has to flow back
through mono / C# / OpenSim HTTP server and I suspect there will be a huge
bottleneck there that would not allow for much more performance than the
CPU itself could handle anyway, there would likely be some improvement
though, the question is does that warrant the inclusion of an expensive GPU
in a server, its going to draw a lot more power, and will not make a lot of
sense in a standard data center style setup with 1U rack servers, expanding
rack size increases costs quite a lot, the question is does that increased
cost benefit performance enough to justify it, the only way to really find
out is to try, I wonder if InWorldz does any GPu offloading for their
implementation of PhysX, i suspect they do not but would be great to know
for sure.

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 5:15 PM, David Saunders <abitar.com at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I know there be allot of grid interested in trying out the new physics
> when offer.
>
> THe only big drawback of people adopting the PhysX is that relies on a GPU
> to do its processing and not sure if you run more then one engine on a
> machine.
>
> I am sure smaller grids and self hosters would love it.
>
> But do correct me, I not looked into PhysX since  last year.
>
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 4:42 PM, Shaun T. Erickson <ste at smxy.org> wrote:
>
>>  It would be sad if this were ultimately for Windows only, as that would
>> rule out its use by a large segment of the OpenSim community.
>>
>> -ste
>>
>> On 3/18/15 4:13 PM, Sean M wrote:
>>
>>  Mike,
>>
>>  Yes, PhysX.net is the targeted wrapper.
>>
>>  Cross compatibility would be nice to maintain but is not a required
>> feature for this effort.
>>
>>  Best regards,
>> Sean Mondesire, Ph.D.
>> MOSES: Virtual World Research Team