[Opensim-dev] OpenSim - New Mumble/Murmur Module

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 5 19:51:59 UTC 2015

Hi Terry.  This sounds like really interesting work and look forward to seeing it.

However, we can only accept code into OpenSimulator core under the three clause BSD license.  The extra clause you are
talking about sounds much more like an AGPL license [1].  That particular license requires any changes to be distributed
if a service is provided over the network (as opposed to the GPL, where sources are only required if a binary is
distributed).

I will try not to get into the ideological aspects of this.  There are pros and cons - for instance, an AGPL like
license may make more code available than would otherwise be the case, but it also scares off contributors who fear its
affect on any code they don't want to release (this has been the case for corps such as IBM).

In practice, the BSD approach appears to have served us well.  It does lead to a split with any *GPL licensed code as it
can't be contributed to core (apart from LGPL binaries or those with FLOSS exceptions).  I would say this is one of the
reasons why the previous GPL licensed Mumble module is not more widely used, though even this may change with the
improvements/implementation of the OpenSimulator/Mono.Addins package management system that Diva talks about elsewhere.

The contribution agreement that James references below is one we require when significant new features are contributed
(other core developers have these on file).  It doesn't require any copyright assignment (the owner continues to own the
code) but it has certain extra clauses assuring that the code is not derived from inappropriate sources (e.g. GPL'd
code) and that any required patent licenses are granted (similar to the Apache open-source license).  The IP rights
grant is where any patent licenses are provided back to anybody downloading the code.

If you do choose to go with a license other than BSD, I would urge you to use a recognized OSI license [2].  And in
principle, one can have a BSD licensed region module and all other Mumble parts under another license, though this may
affect whether it could be accepted into core.  Of course, the Vivox module is in core and that is for a completely
proprietary service...

The improvements/impl of OpenSimulator package management/Mono.Addins may make it more viable to keep a module outside
of core yet make it reasonably easy for people to automatically download and install.  Again, this has pros (you retain
complete control, use what license you like) and cons (no automatic fixes if core changes, lower visibility).

Best,

Justin

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affero_General_Public_License
[2] http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Organization#Membership