[Opensim-dev] SimulatorExtraFeatures Service

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 31 18:22:04 UTC 2014

I'm not convinced of the value of any override switch.  If the same entity controls all the regions then it's not
required.  If different people control regions then they can easily get around such a switch.

If it is only sent up via extras in the capability then it's not accessible except to logged in clients.  For instance,
a viewer frontend couldn't display some grid's guide before login.  You could get around this by then adding the
parameter to [GridInfo] but then that's duplication - to me it would make more sense to only have it in GridInfo in the
first place and perhaps for the gridinfo url to be communicated via extras if that's the only comms channel available on
hg teleport in.

I know some similar stuff is already in extra's (e.g. map-server-url) but I would say that the same argument applies to
them.

This is the kind of protocol addition that should be discussed on the mailing list to get input from people who aren't
around on IRC at the time.  It can't become a fait accompli just because it has been implemented in master and then
taken up by a viewer in the space of a few days.