[Opensim-dev] Modifying the networking stack

Dahlia Trimble dahliatrimble at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 23:08:09 UTC 2014

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 5:41 PM, Heilmann, Michael <mheilman at ist.ucf.edu>
wrote:

> Once again, I am not suggesting a single serial reliable connection, but a
> reliable connection in addition to the lossy up stream.  I understand what
> you and MIC are saying, I have a strong background in networking.  Many
> packets would still be best used on a lossy UDP stream.  However, every
> time you have a packet that needs to be acknowledged, or resent, that
> packet is a candidate for a serial stream.  If it were so time sensitive
> that a TCP stream would hurt the remote users experience, then it should be
> reevaluated whether that packet should be resent in the first place.

And that's what the current UDP stack attempts to do. The idea is not to
resend the packet that failed to be acknowledged, but to send a replacement
packet which contains the most current state. In this case the term
"reliable"  would mean "reliable transfer of real-time state" and not
"reliable stream".

I realize this is an old message that was stuck in the moderation queue but
I thought I'd attempt to clarify that point in case it was missed.

Anyway, it's all open source so if you're still hacking on it, best of luck
and please let us know if you improve things :)