[Opensim-dev] Viewer doesn't render attachments after teleport

Jim Williams sphere1952 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 11:01:17 UTC 2014

Are you sure this is just attachments?  I've been having to right-click on
certain objects after teleport for months now (in FS) under certain
circumstances.  This has been happening both in OSG and Metropolis.  The
problem usually happens if I jump again too soon after a teleport, and it
is usually the same prims each time -- though which prims may change over
time.  I haven't noticed this to be specific to HG, though I do tend to
double jump more when Hyperjumping.

Mostly, I've learned to wait a few seconds before jumping a second time.

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 5:00 AM, Oren Hurvitz <orenh at kitely.com> wrote:

> I'm seeing strange behavior from viewers: after an avatar HG teleports to
> another grid, his attachments sometimes aren't visible to *some* of the
> avatars in the region.
>
> The isn't that the attachments have been detached: the log shows that they
> came across perfectly. And some of the avatars in the region *do* see the
> attachments, while some do not. For example, in Singularity, an avatar
> already in the region sees the incoming avatar's attachments, whereas the
> incoming avatar himself does not! In Firestorm the problem is the reverse:
> the incoming avatar does see his attachments, but the avatar already in the
> grid doesn't.
>
> Waiting doesn't solve the problem. But other actions sometimes do:
> * Most tellingly, sometimes merely changing the zoom level of the viewer
> (using the mousewheel) makes the attachments appear. No packets are sent to
> or from the viewer at this time (I checked).
> * If the avatar walks forward then sometimes one or more of the attachments
> appear. But strangely, walking backwards doesn't make them appear.
>
> I looked carefully at the packets being sent to see if anything is missing,
> or whether the packets differ between avatars that do see the attachments
> and those who don't, but I can't see a difference. And in any case, the
> fact
> that sometimes the attachments can appear even without any packets being
> sent (as in the mousewheel example) means that it's something to do with
> the
> viewer.
>
> I don't want to just say "it's a viewer problem" and move on, because it's
> problem for users of OpenSim. My working assumption is that by sending
> additional packets, or at different times, we can make the viewer refresh
> itself and show the attachments. This would only need to happen shortly
> after a teleport.
>
> Does anyone know what we could do to force the viewer to redraw the
> attachments? I tried sending additional "ObjectUpdate" packets for the
> attachments, but this didn't help.
>
> Oren

No essence.  No permanence.  No perfection.  Only action.