No subject

Sat Apr 19 02:14:48 UTC 2014

ve concluded that we have a process&nbsp=3Bthat doesn't&nbsp=3Ballow for ra=
pid change unless&nbsp=3Bit's either<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
a) really easy=2C and shows immediate value for the percieved audience<BR>
or<BR>
b) has been labouriously discussed and dismissed=2C taken up again=2C re-ev=
aluated=2C and then been dismissed again=2C just to be suddenly accepted be=
cause some technology had matured enough=2C threshold reputation has been e=
arned&nbsp=3Bor a good tool was found.<BR><BR>
What I'm saying is that&nbsp=3Bfrom what I can see our mindset is 'refactor=
ing' rather than 'rewriting'. Babysteps rather than big restructuring. Alwa=
ys thining of the job that should be done in the light of the job that has =
been done so far.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Good and Bad=2C it has worked well so far.<BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>Best regards=2C<B=
R>Stefan Andersson<BR>Tribal Media AB<BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>Join the&nbsp=3B3d web=
 revolution : <A href=3D"http://tribalnet.se/">http://tribalnet.se/</A><BR>=
&nbsp=3B<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

<HR id=3DstopSpelling>
<BR>
Date: Sun=2C 7 Dec 2008 06:41:07 -0600<BR>From: james.stallings at gmail.com<B=
R>To: opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de<BR>Subject: Re: [Opensim-dev] future rex=
viewer merger<BR><BR>Communication is a good thing Toni=2C and you have don=
e a fair enough job of it here.<BR><BR>Clearly there are some cultural (thi=
nk national=2C not corporate) differences here. You have laid out in bold r=
elief many of the reasons behind the things that have frustrated me about t=
he rexx project.<BR><BR>One thing I am always harping on with my employer i=
s the notion of managing expectations. Typically I am talking in a sales co=
ntext=2C but I'll say it here: management of expectations is everything! an=
d of course=2C communication is key to effective management of expectations=
.<BR><BR>IMNSHO=2C this is the 'big fail' on rexx's part - they were oft in=
vited to drop in and discuss things on IRC or participate in the mailing li=
sts. I dont think anyone really expected them to be there chatting in IRC e=
verytime=2C but they could have been following and commenting on key work t=
here and in the lists as well=2C and commenting about things that may have =
impacted their work=2C whether in a positive or negative way. While it may =
seem we burn a lot of time in IRC goofing off=2C this is generally users or=
 opensim devs that are finished with dev for a time socializing. Nothing wr=
ong with that=2C we are a community=2C and communities interact at many lev=
els. No particular commitment to such trivialities is needful from the genu=
inely busy - opensim devs are all business when working hard=2C and dont in=
volve themselves very deeply in the lighter side of the community (if at al=
l) at such times. As a result of this mode of working=2C oportunities to av=
oid duplicated effort were missed=2C and directions were taken that are not=
 consonant with the general direction of the broader community=2C leaving a=
s much work to get re-integrated post-fork=2C as it were=2C as perhaps was =
done to demonstrate a proof of concept in the first place. Additionally=2C =
such communications as we did have were typically in response to complaints=
 about the cross platform issues=2C and we were continually reassured the c=
ommitment was there=2C in spite of over a year of work and still not a sing=
le line of rexx code that will run on any of the alternate platforms. It si=
mply appears as a result of this that there is anything but a commitment to=
 our cross-platform ideals. Worse=2C it seems to suggest that rexx's commit=
ments are not to be trusted.<BR><BR>Now=2C as I am an equal opportunity off=
ender=2C it is time for me to level my critical eye on the opensim team too=
. You see=2C they have contributed to this mess in a subtle way=2C through =
a slavish adherence to an old toolchain: SVN *simply does not do as good a =
job of supporting collaboration as modern tools like Hg and GIT*. Hg is pro=
bably to be preferred over GIT as I believe Hg works cross-platform - but t=
he key point is=2C these more modern repository management toolchains would=
 have offered rexx the flexibility to both do 'clean room' work outside and=
 parallel to the broader community=2C and facilitated a much smoother integ=
ration of their clean-room work post-fork. Indeed=2C these tools facillitat=
e this asynch workflow so thoroughly that the term 'fork' really loses most=
 of it's meaning.<BR><BR>Enough of hindsight. Time to move forward=2C with =
lessons learned. Ryan seems very commited personally to correcting such of =
these misteps as are perhaps of chief concern=3B I dont want to be offensiv=
e and suggest he isnt sincere=2C because at this juncture that is all I wou=
ld be doing is offending=2C and that is honestly not my goal.<BR><BR>It is =
clear from the 38 messages plus in this and related side threads that rexx =
is getting the message about communication - and I will say it again just t=
o reenforce the notion: to be a part of the community=2C one must communica=
te with one's peers.<BR><BR>I *wish* I could say that OpenSim's core dev te=
am is getting the message about the toolchains - this is something that hob=
bles many innovators. Some have quietly adopted these newer toolchains for =
themselves=2C but much of the benefits of this are lost because core still =
sits in an SVN repo (yes=2C I am aware that Hg and GIT can work with SVN re=
pos=2C but to do things this way rather dilutes their strengths).<BR><BR>Oh=
 well=2C one thing about us human beings is=2C we learn=2C grow=2C adapt. I=
 dont think anyone in this community of ours is less than intelligent (or l=
ess than human for that matter =3B) and I hold out hope that the OpenSim te=
am will see how remaining bound to SVN is holding us back.<BR><BR>
<DIV class=3DEC_gmail_quote><BR>Coming to this point in this discussion I a=
m hopefull and optimistic that good things are going to come out of this=2C=
 in spite of the pain. C'mon=2C Ryan=2C I cant *wait* another year to see t=
his stuff =3B)<BR><BR>Cheers<BR>James<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>On Sun=2C Dec 7=2C=
 2008 at 2:03 AM=2C Melanie <SPAN dir=3Dltr>&lt=3B<A href=3D"mailto:melanie=
@t-data.com">melanie at t-data.com</A>&gt=3B</SPAN> wrote:<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=3DEC_gmail_quote style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 1ex">Hello=2C<BR>
<DIV class=3DEC_Ih2E3d><BR>Toni Alatalo wrote:<BR>&gt=3B yep like i mention=
ed in the previous post they are orthogonal and<BR>&gt=3B should be separat=
e. was thinking of that earlier this week but didn't<BR>&gt=3B have time to=
 bring up with the Rex people yet.<BR><BR></DIV>That sounds good.<BR><FONT =
color=3D#888888><BR>Melanie<BR></FONT>
<DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
Opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de</A><BR><A href=3D"https://lists.berlios.de/mai=