[Opensim-dev] partially functional llSetKeyframedMotion implementation

Dahlia Trimble dahliatrimble at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 02:04:36 UTC 2012

I think llSetKeyFramedMotion() is non-physical motion and it also uses a
list of "keyframes" to define a path which is not necessarily straight and
can have multiple points and turns. I believe part of the motivation behind
the function was to provide a low-overhead non-physical motion system that
allowed objects to move smoothly rather than in discreet steps. Using the
function, a script just provides the keyframe path and then the sim does
the rest; therefore the script doesn't need to consistently and
periodically update the object position and rotation. I'm not certain about
protocol but the function could eliminate the need for sending many update
packets by specifying velocity and angular velocity in just a few packets,
probably as few as one for each keyframe.