[Opensim-dev] OpenSim's direction after Linden cutting support, and the possibility of an official OpenSim viewer

Daniel Smith javajoint at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 21:20:15 UTC 2012

Hmm, it's been Over Two Years since I wrote this on my old blog:
http://www.daniel.org/blog/2010/09/19/in-unity-a-way-forward/

I wonder what the state of the art is for any viewers based on Unity,
WebGL, or something else?

The LL code base is an evolutionary dead end.  Firestorm does a great job
of making the best of it, and it deserves to be the #1 viewer.  Ongoing
Kudos to the FS team!  Having said that, no TPV (or LL) viewer is going to
catch up to what is possible on a better foundation.

It would be great to see two things happen:
1)  TPV effort consolidate *even more* around Firestorm.. make it be the
one thing that can tide everyone over until there is a non LL-codebase
viewer.
2) see a good pioneering effort based on Unity, WebGL, or something else

As far as I know, we're not close to the capabilities I was writing about
two years ago.  It's a pretty good bet that the gulf between the LL
codebase and what could be done in Unity is even wider now.

Daniel
http://daniel,org/cafebucky

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:24 PM, R.Gunther <rigun at rigutech.nl> wrote:

>  Firestorm bloated ? there some bugs that make it not useable for me. As
> example i cannot use teapot because there's no vector copy in edit.
> A viewer need to have at least the following extra things.
>
> -Radar
> -AO
> -Advanced edit tools, like vector copy and texture align, also the wider
> setting with numbers, like hollow = 99
> -Mesh view and upload !
>
> Further is the V3 notification system much nicer to have, also the way you
> can arrange buttons.
> Sofar i cannot think about more things then what we have inside
> singularity V1
>

> On 2012-12-11 21:04, Mircea Kitsune wrote:
>
>  I noticed most users prefer Firestorm and it's considered the best
> third-party viewer at this day. Although it's a thing of personal
> preference, I am a bit worried that Firestorm gets all the attention, since
> I'm not seeing any of the other viewers getting mentioned much since
> Firestorm is there. Like I said I don't like it because it's very bloated
> and slow... the ideal viewer for me is one just like the official SL client
> but with a grid manager, build / upload limits removed, and new features
> added.
>
> As far as I know the Second Life viewer is GPL licensed, so distributing
> it should be possible like any other GPL software. Excluding the Havoc
> library which supposedly caused OpenSim support to go away. Changes
> unrelated to the Havoc lib should always be GPL too, so if LL adds
> something that OpenSim viewer can integrate it should be ok. OpenSim is MIT
> licensed if I remember right, but there's nothing wrong with distributing a
> MIT code and a GPL one under the same name and website.
>
> Building a viewer from scratch is something I don't believe will happen or
> needs to happen. It would be an enormous amount of work, only to achieve
> something very similar to what's already there. The SL viewer just needs
> work in places where Linden didn't give it much attention, but is well
> optimized in many areas.
>
>  ------------------------------
> Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 15:55:28 +0100
> From: garmin.kawaguichi at magalaxie.com
> To: opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de
> Subject: Re: [Opensim-dev] OpenSim's direction after Linden cutting
> support, and the possibility of an official OpenSim viewer
>
> I much prefer using Firestorm for OpenSim since developers have clearly
> separated Opensim version from the SL one. Firestorm 431 31155 version is
> very powerful and there are of course some lacks.
> But Firestorm developers are very responsive and they opened a section
> OpenSim in their Jira (successfully tested).
>
>  On the other hand, we can always think that people who have made a server would
> be best placed to make a viewer. Except that this would lead to a
> paradoxical situation where OpenSim developers ask Linden Lab permission
> to use sources V2/3/4, keeping in mind that the issue of licenses would
> [...]

Daniel Smith - Sonoma County, California
http://daniel.org/resume