[Opensim-dev] OpenSim's direction after Linden cutting support, and the possibility of an official OpenSim viewer

Mircea Kitsune mircea_the_kitsune at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 11 20:04:22 UTC 2012

I noticed most users prefer Firestorm and it's considered the best third-party viewer at this day. Although it's a thing of personal preference, I am a bit worried that Firestorm gets all the attention, since I'm not seeing any of the other viewers getting mentioned much since Firestorm is there. Like I said I don't like it because it's very bloated and slow... the ideal viewer for me is one just like the official SL client but with a grid manager, build / upload limits removed, and new features added.

As far as I know the Second Life viewer is GPL licensed, so distributing it should be possible like any other GPL software. Excluding the Havoc library which supposedly caused OpenSim support to go away. Changes unrelated to the Havoc lib should always be GPL too, so if LL adds something that OpenSim viewer can integrate it should be ok. OpenSim is MIT licensed if I remember right, but there's nothing wrong with distributing a MIT code and a GPL one under the same name and website.

Building a viewer from scratch is something I don't believe will happen or needs to happen. It would be an enormous amount of work, only to achieve something very similar to what's already there. The SL viewer just needs work in places where Linden didn't give it much attention, but is well optimized in many areas.