[Opensim-dev] [opensim-dev] interfaces to opensim for sensor network data

Paul Fishwick fishwick at cise.ufl.edu
Wed Nov 24 14:50:04 UTC 2010

On 11/24/2010 8:26 AM, Fleep Tuque wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 8:00 AM, CJ Davies <cjohndavies at gmail.com
> <mailto:cjohndavies at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I'm working on a cross-reality project that collects data from a
>     wireless sensor network (running the TinyOS environment) &
>     presents it to an opensim server such that the data may affect the
>     state of the simulation (e.g. a light turning on in the real world
>     is detected by a sensor & causes a light in the simulation to also
>     turn on).
>
>     Can anybody link me to any information on what available
>     interfaces there are for presenting the sensor data to opensim?
>     I've been googling but can't seem to come up with a suitable
>     search string to return what I'm actually looking for! I presume
>     there must be several opensim interfaces in a few different languages?

Not sure if this would help but my student has recently updated
osFunctions to
to retrieve and output UDP port information. Our purpose was to drive a
continuous
simulation from the outside and have real-time geometry/visual feedback
in OpenSim.

The problem we are currently having now is not so much getting data into
OpenSim in
real time but figuring out the new region module API for geometry - I
think it
might have changed since when the HelloWorld region module was
originally created. We are
thinking of this region module approach, rather than LSL, due to speed
issues that we've
encountered with using LSL for an outside interface.

I think your project requires similar functionality to ours. There are
two issues:

  1) rapid I/O to/from OpenSim
  2) ability to process I/O data within OpenSim from (1)

-p

>     Regards,
>     CJ Davies

Paul Fishwick, PhD
Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences
CISE Department, CSE 301
University of Florida
Gainesville, FL 32611
Email: fishwick at cise.ufl.edu