[Opensim-dev] User services refactoring status

Impalah Shenzhou impalah at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 12:00:13 UTC 2010

UGAIM servers are simply a bunch of http services (xml-rpc and REST) so is
not too difficult to move them to any standard CMS.

Dotnetnuke is only a "pure" .NET alternative that will allow to use the
existing components natively without rewriting all the internal code. You
could have both a complete CMS and the UGAIM servers. It's one of the many
ways to make a comfortable environment for administrators/users.

But... personally I don't like aspx, IIS and all the related .NET stuff for
serving http. For me it's too heavy (not as heavy loaded as Java, but heavy
anyway).

So...

Buried in the forge there was, some time ago, a Perl implementation of UGAIM
and worked quite well (with its limitations). I tried myself to implement
ugaim as Drupal modules, but the performance was horrible compared with
existing UGAIM... so I tried another frameworks.

Actually I have a complete UGAIM implementation using the high performance
Code Igniter PHP framework. With its backend, it's AJAXified windows, its
scalability given by Apache and all that kind of funny things.

That's what I did, but I understand that Opensim Core shouldn't cover that
kind of stuff. Existing UGAIM/ROBUST are implementation examples and cover
the basic needs of the opensim simulator.

Python/Ironpython is another alternative, using Django, TornadoWeb, Twister,
or even Zope.

Java could be an alternative too (not for me, I hate Java after years of
pain with it).

What I am trying to say is that there are as many alternative as people on
the lists. Opensim provides us with one basic alternative (ugaim/robust) and
if we don't like it... well, we are free to create ours.

There is only one thing I really miss for making this: the interfaces
between simultator->UGAIM are not clearly documented and we have to navigate
into code to konow what we have to do.

That's my opinion but if you don't like, I have more.