[Opensim-dev] [realXtend] Re: 3Di Viewer "Rei" goes open source (BSD licensed in-browser viewer)

diva at metaverseink.com diva at metaverseink.com
Wed Sep 30 19:03:16 UTC 2009

Mark Malewski wrote:
> It would just be nice to get everything integrated back into core (or as
> OpenSim modules).

This would be terrible. We're going in the opposite direction, which is
to have a minimal core and let people do their own extensions as they
wish, hopefully replacing the heck out of the reference implementations.

I think you, and maybe others here, may need to understand better this
concept of extensible systems. That's at the very core of OpenSim from
the beginning, even before I started contributing -- OpenSim is not an
application, it's a platform with which to build applications.

Some extenders of OpenSim may want to get together and try to make their
extensions work with each other. That's great and desirable. But let's
not prevent innovative ideas from emerging by throwing a massive
feature-full application out there as "OpenSim".

Diva / Crista