[Opensim-dev] Mono minimum version bump

Dr Scofield DrScofield at xyzzyxyzzy.net
Wed Sep 30 09:25:26 UTC 2009

Snowdrop Short wrote:
> Personally I find this constant relying on the latest and greatest
> version quite annoying.
>
> Using a version of Mono, which isn't in the published repo's is not only
> complicated, but has a tendency to cause problems in other parts of the
> OS, at least in Ubuntu it does.

you can install mono to a non-standard path and use that for opensim without
causing pain on the distro's mono setup.

> Not only does it cause instabilities, e.g. in Beagle, but it also causes
> problems when logging support requests to Canonical.
>
> Isn't it possible to attack the specific crash some other way, e.g. use
> a different method or a different sequence of statements?

if it's an easy, low-penalty work-around, yes and we've done that in the past.
however, there's the danger that we end up spending more time working around
mono bugs than we really want to.

for Sametime 3D we've done quite a bit of testing with the various mono
versions. we found that anything < 2.4.2 is just not stable (with the exception
of 2.0.1, but that suffers from performance/memory problems). your mileage might
vary, of course, in our experience we've crashed in the wall once we started
putting load on mono < 2.4.2.

	DrS/dirk

--
dr dirk husemann ---- virtual worlds research ---- ibm zurich research lab