[Opensim-dev] Prepackaged OpenSim installs

diva at metaverseink.com diva at metaverseink.com
Sat Sep 19 18:41:13 UTC 2009

The whole meta-point of opensim is that it is a framework that is easily
extensible and configurable in a myriad of ways. It's not one system,
it's a family of systems. The most similar case that comes to mind is
Linux.

We have vaguely agreed some time ago to make the "official" distribution
come prepackaged with two configurations for SQLite-standalones (one HG
other not), and another two configurations for grided sims (HG and
non-HG). So that's what comes in the package. It can't be made much
easier than what it is, because the official distro MUST expose the
dozens of configuration possibilities so that distribution-makers and
application developers can choose among them.

As such, I would expect to see a variety of distributions popping up in
the months to come that zoom in one certain things. OSGrid has been
providing preconfigured binary distros for a long time. I think Rex
provides their own too. The diva distro is another one, targeting one
specific configuration -- HG standalones. And other people have
mentioned theirs.

I don't think these distros need to be coordinated in any way. Anyone
can make a distro available for whatever configuration(s) they like, for
pay or for free, with whatever prepackaged goodies they want. Just keep
the license there and honor it, that's all.