[Opensim-dev] Ruth vs Gas Clouds: Bug or feature?

Melanie melanie at t-data.com
Thu May 14 21:27:22 UTC 2009

I believe I can explain this.

JCool, the creator of the Emerald Viewer, has been able to shed some
light on this, since his viewer has been using a similar feature
from the start.

Bots largely depend on viewer compositing, this means they send the
individual clothing layers, but no baked ones, and the viewing
user's viewer composites them into a viewable avatar.

Starting from 1.23, LL viewer no longer send, or expect, compositing
layers. Avatars no longer carry texture information about their
individual clothing items. This is to combat theft, avatars now
carry only the 3 baked textures. Therefore, Copybot can no longer
rip clothing from an avatar it sees.

Because of this, the "Cloud" stage is perceived to be longer on 1.23
users, as they don't render until the bakes have been pushed to the
server and then downloaded by the other clients. An avatar counts as
unloaded if it's visual params are the default ones OR it has no
baked textures. Previously, it would count as unloaded only if it
had no textures at all, or all default visual params.

Since bots don't bake, they will never render for users of the 1.23,
since it neither creates not expects compositing layers.

Conversely, users of the Emerald Viewer, which features clothing
protection, appear as light grey avatars until the baked textures
are pushed to the server.

Melanie