[Opensim-dev] adding unneeded complexity to OpenSim.ini

SignpostMarv Martin opensim at signpostmarv.name
Tue Mar 17 06:15:38 UTC 2009

Two questions:

1) What's the upper limit on the number of configurable modules that
OpenSim can support
2) Do you really want to run through a monolithic config file over
PuTTY/Terminal ?

~ Marv

p.s. Apache now supports "config includes", so its not like there's no
precedent for major software applications shifting away from monolithic
formats.

Ovi Chris Rouly wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I'm deeply with Melanie and Paul Fishwick on this.
> Section delimiters in a single ASCII text configs have
> served computer science very well for many years.
>
> Why fix it if it "ain't" broke?  OpenSim works pretty
> well (plus a small learning curve) right out of the box.
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Chris
>

>> Message: 1
>> Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 09:35:48 +0000
>> From: Melanie <melanie at t-data.com>
>> Subject: Re: [Opensim-dev] Round 2: Config changes preview
>> To: opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de
>>
>> Has anyone notices how impossibly complicated, complex and
>> unmaintainable this is going to become?
>> Instead of demanding the user read a simple set of instructions,
>> then do the RightThing, you try to do all their thinking for them,
>> resulting in something that will make neither novice nor grid
>> operator happy.
>>
>> You are increasing, not decreasing, complexity and the effort to get
>> up and running.
>> Rename, copy, multiple subdirectories, even I am hard put to see any
>> sense in that, and I'm a dev, for crying out loud!
>>
>> Melanie
>>
>> Mike Mazur wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> On first glance, it's not obvious how the config files in these
>>> directories are treated. Is the defaults/ directory scanned for valid
>>> .ini files which are then processed?
>>>
>>> The defaults/ directory contains scripting.ini.defaults. To enable
>>> these settings, what should the user do? Rename to
>>> defaults/scripting.ini, then edit? Is it necessary to copy to
>>> override/scripting.ini and edit instead?
>>>
>>> In my opinion, having both a directory a *.ini.defaults extensions is
>>> one too many. Perhaps we can get away with the two directories
>>> containing only .ini files?
>>>
>>> config/OpenSim.ini.example
>>> config/available/*.ini