[Opensim-dev] adding unneeded complexity to OpenSim.ini

Kyle Hamilton aerowolf at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 07:26:10 UTC 2009

There are going to be far too many modules for a single file to
contain and maintain.  This, fundamentally, was the reason why
Microsoft moved from .ini format to the Registry.  (Having multiple
configuration files is much like the Registry, only the registry keys
are accessible via the filesystem.)

Apache has supported config includes for *years*, because httpd.conf,
access.conf, and srm.conf ended up being too limiting.

And from a maintenance perspective, It's much easier for each module
maintainer to "own" a particular module's default configuration if
it's in a separate file that other people aren't going to clobber on
upload.

-Kyle H