[Opensim-dev] Round 2: Config changes preview

Sean Heavy seanheavy at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 23:41:00 UTC 2009

+1 Melanie. Why are we trying to reinvent the wheel?

Since OpenSim, (also called the 3d web), is a server/service, similar to
Apache or IIS, (the 2d web), can we just follow their example for
configuration files? IIS has a web/gui based setup, which I assume is
more than we are ready to do with Opensim at this stage. Apache has one
config file, with embedded links to other config files as needed or
wanted by the administrator. So, for those who want, one big config, for
those who prefer multiple config files/folders, you can have it your way.

BTW, I have no Linux/MS bias here. I've been SysAdmin for both systems
for a long time.

Peace,
Sean

Melanie wrote:
> Has anyone notices how impossibly complicated, complex and
> unmaintainable this is going to become?
> Instead of demanding the user read a simple set of instructions,
> then do the RightThing, you try to do all their thinking for them,
> resulting in something that will make neither novice nor grid
> operator happy.
>
> You are increasing, not decreasing, complexity and the effort to get
> up and running.
> Rename, copy, multiple subdirectories, even I am hard put to see any
> sense in that, and I'm a dev, for crying out loud!
>
> Melanie
>
> Mike Mazur wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 2:34 AM, Justin Clark-Casey
>> <jjustincc at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> In this version I've done away with all the subdirectories.  There is now a simpler structure
>>>
>>> config/OpenSim.ini.example
>>> config/defaults