[Opensim-dev] First draft of reX-NG design document

Ryan McDougall sempuki1 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 06:37:57 UTC 2009

The first draft of reX-NG design document can be found here:

http://wiki.realxtend.org/index.php/ReX-NG_Design_Document

Based on initial reactions, I would like to point out that Use Cases
and Interactions are (admittedly yet incomplete, and) meant to be very
High Level, and only act as a *guide* to development. They are neither
a formal nor technical specification. It does not mean all features
must be implemented in the viewer, or even directly by reX; only that
they *should* be supported in some way, and the precise mechanics of
"how" can come later.

Moreover, it is meant to be a living document that changes as our
goals and realities change. The technical sections are much less
developed, and may yet contain inconsistencies that we will hammer out
as time goes on. The entire purpose of releasing this the community is
the hope that you can help us hammer them out. There also exist many
ideas and directions that as yet only exist in our internal
discussions, and have yet to be written down somewhere public. Don't
assume; please ask questions before shooting. Your input *is*
important to us.

We have moved the realxtend wiki and reorganized it a bit, so it
should be easier to navigate. A section where any registered user is
able to write is coming up soon.

Main page: http://wiki.realxtend.org/index.php/Main_Page
Open Source page:
http://wiki.realxtend.org/index.php?title=RexWiki:Community_Portal

Development of the Next Generation viewer will be hosted here:
http://dev.realxtend.org/gf/project/viewer/

We are also planning to update the main page on www soon.

* The document is "0.1" version of the design. Very little is set in
stone; things will evolve.
* The document is more of a guide than a spec.
* The document is meant to aim high; it is understood in reality there
will be many practical difficulties.
* The current state is very top-heavy with lots of use cases, but
technical details yet remain somewhat immature.
* There is no strict separation between client and server; it is
thought to be an implementation detail.
* There is no prioritization, except where it is implicit.
* The document is on a wiki for a reason. Your input is welcome.

Cheers,