[Opensim-dev] mantis resolved vs. closed

James Stallings II james.stallings at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 16:47:14 UTC 2009

I can certainly appreciate the problem of abandoned mantii - most of them
are. I think what caught me off-guard here  is idb and I were actively
working the issue - and without me knowing the ticket would be resolved as
it was (automatically) it gave a certain appearance that did not reflect
well on idb.

Of course, as it turns out, idb did nothing at all off-color, and as a
result of my misunderstanding, I behaved in such a fashion that I wind up
with a bit of egg on my face, so to speak. While this is a bit unpleasant
for me, I suppose I will get over it. I dunno about idb though, nor
subsequent folk who get caught up in such a circumstance. This is just the
situation I hope to avoid for others in the future.

In the interest of offering solutions along with problems, allow me to
suggest the following notion:

suppose instead of setting the ticket to 'resolved' and closing it, we set
it to 'resolution pending test' and leave it open, making this the policy
after a patch - and should the submitter fail to follow up in some arbitrary
but reasonable time (a week, say), then the patcher and/or mantis admins
could comfortably set them 'resolved' and close them.

Comments?

Cheers,
James

http://osgrid.org