[Opensim-dev] oddities with asset storage

John Ward jward at uci.edu
Wed Feb 18 18:06:00 UTC 2009

Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
> The problem is that you may have given that item to somebody else.
> Giving an item does not make an asset copy, it just makes an
> inventory item copy (both inventory items still point towards the
> same asset).
>
> So you may delete your item, but we don't know if the asset
> referenced by that item lives on in someone else's inventory (or in
> an object inventory).  So we can't delete the underlying asset.

Why not make an asset copy when one makes an inventory copy?  Then
delete the asset when deleted from inventory.  Is each user having their
own copy of many things a bigger problem?  I guess this doesn't address
one having out of ban knowledge of an assets UUID and expecting it to be
there.  Also, I accept that I may be missing some fundamental knowledge
of how things work.  Please be gentle :-)

John.