[Opensim-dev] oddities with asset storage

Melanie melanie at t-data.com
Wed Feb 18 18:56:45 UTC 2009

Making a copy is the greater evil. With implicitly shared assets,
only content creators create assets. With asset copying, each
sale/give creates assets.
Take SL:

I make a clothing item. I have to make 18 uploads (creating 18
assets) to finally use 2 of the uploaded textures. I have also
created 36 wearable assets through this.

Then i put that item for sale. 2000 users buy it.

With implicitly shared assets, assets consumed: 18 texture, 36 wearable.

With asset copying, assets consumed: 4001 texture, 4003 wearable

See, the point of diminishing returns for copying is very close.

Melanie