[Opensim-dev] Groups in OpenSim

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 15 18:39:39 UTC 2009

Chris Hart wrote:
> I can understand why groups and economy could be linked for various
> reasons, but I would personally prefer that sort of thing broken apart –
> just sharing on building via groups, sharing objects with group, would
> all be really lovely to have, whereas economy is less of an immediate
> issue for me (even moreso with rumours of further complications
> regarding taxation for in-world purchasing
> http://15timez.blogspot.com/2009/02/sl-in-world-transactions-to-be-taxed.html)
> since I have no aspirations to be a banker or accountant. Having it as
> an optional extra would be great should my opinion be changed on this
> matter! J

In OpenSimulator we've had an agreement (which may not have been stated publicly before) that we will not have any core
code that deals directly with monetary transactions.

This is to avoid any potential problems in which real money is lost in a transaction on an OpenSimulator system.  We
will provide the hooks for calling economy code, but the actual economy code itself has to live in a third party module
or system.

Of course, our license explicitly states that users of the code cannot hold us liable for damages, but it's even clearer
cut if the code isn't in core OpenSim in the first place.