[Opensim-dev] OpenSim Library

diva at metaverseink.com diva at metaverseink.com
Tue Dec 29 15:34:02 UTC 2009

What you're describing is exactly the process I first had in mind for
doing this. It would work both for standalones and grids. However I
decided not to do it like that for a couple of reasons:

1) There is a horrible dependency in IARs to scenes -- precisely related
to decoding that and other fields that encode UUIDs. The IAR facility
instantiates SceneObjectGroup so that it can reach the UUIDs inside;
that means that anything that uses IAR for other purposes  needs to
include the entire OpenSim.Region.Framework.dll, which is one of the
biggest DLLs of OpenSim, essentially the core of the simulator. In other
words, if you want to do anything with IARs right now, you need to load
the simulator code... it's so wrong that I couldn't force myself to do this.

2) Even if that dependency didn't exist, the process you describe would
still be a quick & dirty hack. As Adam pointed out, now that we have
archives, it doesn't make any sense to load the library from the file
system representation that the current Library uses. We should load the
Library from archives, no need to extract them into the file system first.

We are currently refactoring the user services -- the last push to move
everything to the new services architecture. We're going to have to fix
the Library issues too, to some extent, because right now in grid mode
the library is being instantiated by the user server, which is a mess.
But the new IAR library load facility won't be on for grids until that
nasty dependency (1) is eliminated -- there's no way *I* will code up a
library service that loads OpenSim.Region.Framework.dll... (maybe
someone else will do it, but not me)