[Opensim-dev] Mumble & Voice

Rob Smart rob.s.smart at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 15:44:06 UTC 2009

Hi Robert,

There are two working voice modules for OpenSim at the moment. FreeSwitch
and Vivox. Freeswitch has lower voice quality than Vivox and no spatial
sound however it has the advantage of being free. Vivox is a lot higher
quality but it is down to anyone running the Vivox module to speak to Vivox
and negotiate use of their voice servers.

Mumble/Murmur looks great (Murmur is the server component) but they use the
speex codec which is not supported by SLVoice (the SL clients inbuilt VOIP
client) so use of it without modifying the client is unfortunately not
possible.

Rob.