[Opensim-dev] Mumble & Voice

Robert A. Knop Jr. rknop at pobox.com
Fri Dec 4 14:10:37 UTC 2009

I don't know if anybody is aware of this, but there's a fully open
source (BSDish) VOIP server/client named Mumble --
http://mumble.sourceforge.net/ .  I don't know if they have a
library/API that could be used for integrating the server into other
things.  However, this might be something that could be integrated into
OpenSim as built-in Voice.  (It would require changes to the client as
well, of course.)

I know that some folks use Skype or phone voice bridges to use Voice
while in OpenSim, but I've found that not having the visual feedback on
who's talking (voice gestures or the green lines over your head) really
breaks the immersion.  It'd be great to have some sort of built-in Voice
solution (even better if it was spatial, but even just "global" with
visual feedback would get us most of the way there).

Is anybody working on integrating Voice into OpenSim right now?  I know
that there's something going on with FreeSwitch.  Who's the expert on
Voice in OpenSim?

--
--Rob Knop
  E-mail:    rknop at pobox.com