[Opensim-dev] The essence of "grid"

Diva Canto diva at metaverseink.com
Thu Apr 16 15:44:57 UTC 2009

Right.
This whole issue can be formulated in one very simple question:
If the client is to delegate authority to the server-side, should it do
it to the specific simulator or to this other server that speaks for a
collection of simulators, aka "grid"?

Under the Apache model, the answer is "to the specific simulator" which
then can get its response from some other server, if it wishes to do so.
But in a lot of discussions related to webs of VWs, there is an implicit
assumption that there needs to be this other controller with which the
clients have to interact.

As I said, this is not philosophy. As I'm doing Grider, I need to decide
with which server it interacts for purposes of authority delegation. I
think it should interact with specific simulators. But I just wanted to
shake things a bit and see what's out there in people's minds,
specifically for this concept of what a "grid" is.