[Opensim-dev] The essence of "grid"

Mystical Demina MysticalDemina at xrgrid.com
Fri Apr 17 02:52:40 UTC 2009

If you look at the grid as active directory and simulators and web servers
then the simulators will get the request to access a resource and need to
have the user authenticated and authorized and as such I would support your
model.  But I would suggest that most people would probably implement some
kind of active directory so that they can centrally manage users and roles.

I believe OpenSim is close to this model with simulators when they log into
the grid.  It should be possible to force a simulator off the grid from a
central point by failing its token which I don't think exist right now.

To me the UGAIM is the services of the grid and even though the grid server
doesn't do much the grid as a whole provides services of which one is
authentication.

What I seem is the more interesting challenge is how the authentication
interfaces are designed so that when a request comes into a simulator it can
choose to allow anonymous access to some things and require authentication
for some other things.  Also how the interfaces can be designed to have a
default authentication model but then support hooks to use other forms of
authentication.  Also I see it should work in a chain so that trust can be
deferred; for instance the simulator may defer authentication to a grid and
then that grid may defer it to another grid or to LiveID or something like
that.

There other part I think can make this complicated is how the layers are
defined.  Using the OSI model there are many layers where authorization can
be implemented, like in the TCP/IP socket itself can control access to the
computer like how NT will not let you have access to a resource on the box,
but if it lets you have access it creates a principle and identity object
that layers above it can use.  In the case of a web site that may be an
anonymous users so it will them force an authentication by requesting a
forms authentication which will then change the principle object and
identity to give it additional authorization.

What I don't see 100% clearly is how when a request goes into a region and
then that region request to do changes against my inventory that we can make
sure that region really has authority to do that and limit either accidental
or intentional changes in the UGAIM that a region does not have authority to
do.  I think it needs to work something like how integrated security works
in that my tokens are pass a long with the request to the UGAIM servers.
Not sure how to prevent a simulator from abusing that it has my tokens and
do thing I didn't request to do other than making the tokens expire or only
allow one time use.

The main thing I see architecturally is that there needs to be kind of a
grid layer that the simulator sits on that does certain services like how an
application sit on the operating system and as such the authentication stuff
should be pulled out into a layer that is performed before anything else
happens in a process.

I think Microsoft's Membership API is a good model to look at if you
haven't.  It supports a default authentication or you can override it with
your own custom authentication.  There are probably others.

Kevin Tweedy
IRC: Mystical