[Opensim-dev] The essence of "grid"

Michael Cortez mcortez at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 14:31:09 UTC 2009

Michael Cortez wrote:
> My thoughts:
>
> To me, a Grid is a virtual space that can be of any given size, and to
> date, currently consists of one or more discrete Regions that are laid
> out in a two dimensional grid pattern.  A Grid allows for these
> discrete individual spaces to be joined together to provide a seamless
> virtual space that viewers can traverse as if they were a single large
> simulation.
>
> A Grid can consist of just a single Region, or many Regions.
>
> Within a Grid, it may be desirable to assign ownership of virtual
> space to specific agents for administration.  Those agents, through
> their viewers (or other means) should be able to determine who may
> enter their space, what those visitors can do once there, including
> what communications are available and what objects they may simulate.
> Currently we determine areas of administration in 256m^2 regions of
> space, that are then sub-divided by parcels.
Oh, and I forgot to mention, I fully expect to see Grids of Grids  -- in
fact, OSGrid could be seen as a grid of grids.  It consists of many
individual Regions of space, that can on their own be considered a grid.

I'll state it again here, for those that don't care to read my other
longer rambling message -- each instance of OpenSim is to a certain
extent a self contained grid.  In standalone mode it has nearly all the
same services as what is currently called a "Grid" -- and those services
that are missing could be added.  In fact, "Grid Mode" is simply the
delegation of specific subsets of responsibility to another entity.

--
Michael Cortez