[Opensim-dev] The essence of "grid"

Michael Cortez mcortez at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 14:24:03 UTC 2009

Just my pittance,

Assumptions:
* We want to create virtual space
* We want to put this virtual space on networks to allow networked
viewers to enter and possibly interact
* Some people may want to restrict what is and isn't allowed in their
virtual space, including who is allowed and what they can do while there
* What we call a "Region" is simulation of a 256m x 256m region of
virtual space

My thoughts:

To me, a Grid is a virtual space that can be of any given size, and to
date, currently consists of one or more discrete Regions that are laid
out in a two dimensional grid pattern.  A Grid allows for these discrete
individual spaces to be joined together to provide a seamless virtual
space that viewers can traverse as if they were a single large simulation.

A Grid can consist of just a single Region, or many Regions.

Within a Grid, it may be desirable to assign ownership of virtual space
to specific agents for administration.  Those agents, through their
viewers (or other means) should be able to determine who may enter their
space, what those visitors can do once there, including what
communications are available and what objects they may simulate.
Currently we determine areas of administration in 256m^2 regions of
space, that are then sub-divided by parcels.

To me the concept of a Region is inseparable from that of a Grid,
because a Grid is a simply a representation of space and a Region a
subset of that space.  Moving forward, the subsets of space within a
Grid may not be 256m x 256m, instead they may be 1m x 1m, or they may be
1000m x 1000m -- currently we're using 256m^2 simply because the legacy
SL based viewers we have assume that regions of space within a Grid will
be that size.  We already have people that are "splitting" the
simulation of space represented by a Region, and the current
implementation of OpenSim already allows for a single simulation to
represent larger areas, albeit in 256m^2 chunks.

The various "grid services" -- such as users, inventory, assets, groups,
messaging -- are what determines who may or may not interact with the
virtual space, and what may or may not be placed within that virtual
space, and how those who are connected to that space may communicate
within and via that space.

For what this means to Diva's original question, I'm not sure.  But
here's a few things to contemplate:

* If a subset of the assets an agent is going to use are solely in their
control, and they specifically have to grant permission for a simulation
to use those assets, then that negotiation should not be with a Region
or a specific instance of simulation, but instead with a Grid.  Because
in the seamless environment that a grid represents, a viewer who is 600m
away may be looking at your avatar -- and the simulation that the viewer
is in will need access to the assets that represent your appearance.
This scenario is a little clouded, but still true with existing
hypergrid regions now -- because every instance of OpenSim, is, in
itself a self contained "Grid."

* Just because something is called a trust domain, does not mean that I
trust it.  There are a lot of web sites out in the wild, each could be
considered to be a stand alone trust domain, and some via certificates
or other mechanisms join a larger trust domain, and I don't extend any
level of trust to them what'so'ever and would never provide them with
any personal data.  Other trust domains I will extend a little trust,
I'll give them my email address, a preferred user name/alias, and a
security token (password) that I will use just for them -- other trust
domains I extend full trust to and share much of my important personal
data with.  All that being a trust domain means, is that those members
within that domain will fall under the administration of, and policies
set forth by the trust domain -- if those policies are "Do what you
want, and here's some unsecured storage space you can use, and an
unverified database of users you can peruse", then as a user you must
decide what level of actual trust to extend.  Often people extend more
trust then they should through miss-understanding, for example people
extended trust to Linden Labs on the *assumption* that their assets
would be safe and protected from being copying within their trust domain
(Second Life) -- however LL never made any such promise, nor are they
even capable of enforcing such a policy {with a few exceptions including
scripts and personal data, such as CC #'s}.

Cheers,
--
Michael Cortez