[Opensim-dev] Is this anything to worry about?

Diva Canto diva at metaverseink.com
Sun Apr 12 14:45:56 UTC 2009

I take this opportunity to, once again, make a call to reality on what
concerns OpenSim security :-)

Posts like this may give some people an off-band impression that
OpenSim's security is comparable to Linden Lab's security, and that you
need these security consultants to crack it up. It is not comparable and
you don't need these consultants yet. OpenSim is alpha software that
hasn't even reached 0.7. Security is practically non-existent unless the
people deploying a grid know very well where all the security holes are
and either (a) run everything inside a firewall or (b) cover the holes
with additional layers of protection -- which essentially  means doing
actual development on the existing code. Things are particularly
unprotected in open grids.
I'm pretty sure things will improve substantially as we get closer to
1.0, and as new viewers come to play with us, but we're not there yet.

Furthermore, OpenSim is not an VW application, like Linden Lab's, but an
extensible framework for building VW applications. There are already
several built-in options that result in quite different systems, and, in
what concerns security, there will be at least a few that result is
quite different security schemes. And since the framework is extensible,
in a couple of years I will expect to see uses of OpenSim with
completely different security characteristics.

For now, just keep this one word in mind: VeryLittleSecurityHereYet.