[Opensim-dev] Very sensitive terrain adjustment?

Frisby, Adam adam at deepthink.com.au
Thu Sep 11 19:37:07 UTC 2008

Let me add my thoughts here since I wrote a lot of that code originally

-          Brush sizes: Yep, this is a problem. In Linden-terms the range of the brush is 2^x where X is the 'brush byte' in meters. I use a 'spherical distance' calculation there which has the habit of making changes for small values of 'x' very small. We possibly need to change that formula (linear distance may work).

-          Flatten: you have it down pat - we could probably record the last value for each user and carry those across, having the options would be nice - there's actually 5-6 terrain tools which the UI does not expose, but we support (use "terrain newbrushes true" to see them).

-          Spikes are usually caused by us doing something wrong - these are cases where averages go to weird values, we divide by very small numbers, etc.

-          Sim boundaries are a *very* nasty problem, because to do effective terraforming with smoothed sides, we need to send a minimum of 16x16 height cells between the sims several times a second, and we need to do it quickly in order for the viewer to see things accurately. I did start some work on this a while ago which I may get time to finish sometime later.

Regards,

Adam