[Opensim-dev] Place for osFoo functions that only work with certain languages

Rob Smart rob.s.smart at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 12:21:16 UTC 2008

"I'm with Mike here.  Scripting is made up of 2 things: 1) A language    2)
A Standard Library"

I don't and haven't disagreed with this in anyway.

I'm simply saying that you can't take an OpenSim LSL/OSSL script that uses
any osXXXXX function and use it in SecondLife.

So    SL <--> OpenSim    for scripts isnt 100% pure.

That is my one and only point.

But as you say the original question is...

"Is there anything special we want to do if we make a standard library
call that can't work in LSL, because it needs complex types?"

I'd like the LSL compiler to return an error that indicates the os method
the scripter has tried to use is not available in LSL
because the language doesnt support it. And possibly list the scripting
languages it is supported in, I'm guessing this is something that
could be done by throwing an exception from the method itself, is there a
way to detect the particular scripting engine the method has been called
from ?

Rob