[Opensim-dev] Place for osFoo functions that only work with certain languages

Sean Dague sdague at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 11:51:10 UTC 2008

Mike Mazur wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 7:13 PM, Rob Smart <rob.s.smart at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If we are to stick rigidly to LSL then they must be functionally equivalent
>> which includes language and API access.
>
> I disagree.

I'm with Mike here.  Scripting is made up of 2 things:

1) A language
2) A Standard Library

A language is just base syntax.  It's how base types work, how it is
compiled, etc.  It is the path to CIL.

Because we support 5 languages for scripting in OpenSim, the distinction
here is a bit clearer.  All the Standard Library calls work across all
the languages.

Some of our Standard Library clones the Linden standard library, because
people seem to want that.  But we also have added a bunch of our own
functions in, clearly marked, that do more.

That all being said, I think that brings us back to the original question:

Is there anything special we want to do if we make a standard library
call that can't work in LSL, because it needs complex types?

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague / Neas Bade
sdague at gmail.com