[Opensim-dev] Restructuring test directories

Dahlia Trimble dahliatrimble at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 22:27:01 UTC 2008

Personally I think good tests are a great idea, but I do think they should
be available and functioning properly on all recommended development
platforms prior to becoming mandatory for commit. In my case some tests were
added or modified in a commit prior to mine that had nothing to do with the
code I had committed, but it caused 2 build failures that were counted
against me. In this case I think the method for collecting developer
statistics is misleading at best and should be remedied or abandoned. Unit
tests are great if they lead to a higher quality product, but if they are
implemented in a haphazard manner they could serve to lower contributor
productivity and motivation.
I'm definitely willing to work with those who have different development
environments than I to help them get the tests they implement working in my
environment, and I hope the converse is true as well. Likewise I would be
hesitant to enforce any tests that I may add for my code unless I had some
assurance that the tests were functional and usable by all core developers.
Perhaps we need some sort of qualification for the unit tests themselves
before they can be enforced against any commit process.

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 2:38 PM, Justin Clark-Casey <jjustincc at googlemail.com