[Opensim-dev] OSGrid <-> UCIGrid

Rhian dutchy.rhian at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 08:18:52 UTC 2008

Hi Crista and everyone,

This is a very interesting concept, as it's a start in the direction
of 3D Web. :-) Very good idea, Diva!
The way I see this for the far far future, it's a possibility for
people to have their own regions at home much like a personal web
page, in the same sense that Croquet does, but in a -in my opinion-
better environment.
I have attempted to connect myself, and added a test region On OSGrid
"Hyper Unlikely" linked to UCI Campus Peer under TestGate.
It took me some time and experimentation to figure out how it should
work as your description of local and remote wasn't clear.
In the end this one worked for me:
link-region 12 12 ucigrid02.nacs.uci.edu 9000 TestGate

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 5:16 PM, Cristina Videira Lopes
<lopes at ics.uci.edu> wrote:
> Enters hypergrid. In an hypergrid of p2p nodes there is no central
> authority for allocating nodes to grid positions. The position of peers
> in the map is determined locally by the node itself, and not by any
> global entity. As we move from peer to peer, we are presented completely
> different grids. For example, my node can connect to CNN's world placing
> it in position 10, 10 of my grid; but when I TP to CNN, I am presented
> with a totally different grid: the node that I TP-ed to is probably not
> at position 10, 10 of its local grid; my own node is probably not in
> CNN's grid at all.

> I've implemented a console command that looks like this:
> link-region 10 10 ucigrid02.nacs.uci.edu 9000
>
> 10, 10 is the position on the local grid
> ucigrid02.nacs.uci.edu and 9000 are the host and port respectively of
> the remote opensim

After some testing I came to the conclusion that:
link-region Xpos Ypos remote-grid port Alias
works as:
Xpos + Ypos = free position on the grid that you're HyperTP-ing from.

> Once this link is established, we can interact with this peer in the
> normal way. It will show up in the local map at position 10, 10. We can
> TP to it via the map. (I'm still debating whether adjacencies should be
> allowed or not; they bring along child agents that can overload the
> remote regions; but that's a detail)

How you deal with potential duplicate avatar names or UUIDs?

What I found with testing from both "UCI Welcome" and "Hyper Unlikely"
is the following:
- TP from UCI Welcome to UCI Campus peer works fine and reasonably
fast, crashes are likely to appear though, somewhere the "UCI Welcome"
loses the contact with the Viewer, I assume (based on whe I have
noticed on my region).
- TP from Hyper Unlikely to UCI Campus peer works if you give it
enough time to load the world map? (I have seen loads of messages
communication has settled the TP goes smooth. (When you can't see the
server console and try to TP changes are the viewer is giving up
before the server is reaching the handshaking point as it's still
trying to load the world map.)

If you can give me another region than UCI Campus to link to, I'll
change mine. However I did not see my region on the UCI Grid for
TP-ing back... I had to use the UCI OSGrid gateway. I suspect that the
connectivity between the UCI-grid and my machine are the issue.

I did see Dahlia on the Peer, she crashed a moment before me, while in
conversation... It was rather late for me last night, so I didn't
immediately start to write my email.

All very interesting and I would like to stay in tune with the
progressions if conversations about the development and tests are
taken outside this list.

Kind regards,
Rhian
(aka Reena Bismuth)