[Opensim-dev] Distributed asset server proposal (was: RE: OSGrid <-> UCIGrid)

Hurliman, John john.hurliman at intel.com
Fri Oct 31 00:29:40 UTC 2008

This ties in closely with the asset server proposal we've been brainstorming at Intel. The current version of the proposal is at http://opensimulator.org/wiki/AssetServerProposal and the project lives at http://forge.opensimulator.org/gf/project/assetserver/ (although there is no usable code just yet).

A large benefit that you gain from bringing the asset/inventory/etc servers out from behind the simulator is allowing content creators to manage their own assets, and stop binding end users to a single grid-provided asset service. Offloading >80% of the traffic from the simulator is just a side benefit.

John