[Opensim-dev] OSGrid <-> UCIGrid

Cristina Videira Lopes lopes at ics.uci.edu
Thu Oct 30 17:19:28 UTC 2008

Mircea Filipescu wrote:
> Me too. I would be curious to ask two questions now, one of them
> related to that. First question is, how do you set that up on your own
> opensim so far? Is the inter-grid teleporting system in the core yet
> or just an experimental separate application? Will there be a way from
> opensim.ini to do that experimentally soon?
It's not in the core. It would be great if it makes it there :-) It will
be really easy to merge.
Since the architecture of OpenSim is so good (I've said this many times
before!), the extension I made is really modular and simple. The only
weirdness is having to subclass OpenSim.cs, so that I can instantiate
the hypergrid comms instead of the default comms.

> My second question is something on longer term related to the
> technical part; I'm curious what will be done with the assets in this
> situation and with fetching them, and here I mean how one can sit on
> one grid and use assets and inventory from both that grid and another
> one. There are two problems here; First of them (smallest one) is the
> possibility of UUID conflicts. Lets say for example that someone
> uploads a texture on OSGrid and uses it in their inventory. Now they
> cross-grid TP to the LL grid, and in order for stuff to work correctly
> both the OSGrid asset server and LL grid asset server must be used.
> However, if the UUID of that texture he just uploaded on OSGrid is the
> same as the UUID of another texture / asset already on the LL grid,
> there will be a UUID conflict.
For this issue, I'm relying on probabilities & statistics! I hope the
math delivers :-)
But I confess I feel a bit nervous about this too. I would feel a lot
more comfortable if UUIDs would be suffixed with a domain name, or if
they encoded domain names, so that ambiguity would be impossible, not
just improbable.

> Second problem as the devs have been discussing is that the SL client
> can only support one asset server at a time. So if you go into another
> grid like that normally you must have both the assets of the grid you
> come from and the ones of the grid you go to at the same time. So yeah
> I was curious if anything is intended or known about these problems so
> far... one way or another I guess they will be gotten through so yeah.
 From what I hear, there is a distributed asset server in the making.
We'll have to exchange some ideas.
It's too bad that the client is so attached to the one-mamma model. We
need to constantly trick it on the server side.