[Opensim-dev] OSGrid <-> UCIGrid

Mircea Filipescu mircea_the_kitsune at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 30 16:30:36 UTC 2008

Me too. I would be curious to ask two questions now, one of them related to that. First question is, how do you set that up on your own opensim so far? Is the inter-grid teleporting system in the core yet or just an experimental separate application? Will there be a way from opensim.ini to do that experimentally soon?

My second question is something on longer term related to the technical part; I'm curious what will be done with the assets in this situation and with fetching them, and here I mean how one can sit on one grid and use assets and inventory from both that grid and another one. There are two problems here; First of them (smallest one) is the possibility of UUID conflicts. Lets say for example that someone uploads a texture on OSGrid and uses it in their inventory. Now they cross-grid TP to the LL grid, and in order for stuff to work correctly both the OSGrid asset server and LL grid asset server must be used. However, if the UUID of that texture he just uploaded on OSGrid is the same as the UUID of another texture / asset already on the LL grid, there will be a UUID conflict.

Second problem as the devs have been discussing is that the SL client can only support one asset server at a time. So if you go into another grid like that normally you must have both the assets of the grid you come from and the ones of the grid you go to at the same time. So yeah I was curious if anything is intended or known about these problems so far... one way or another I guess they will be gotten through so yeah.