[Opensim-dev] Sim Startup Optimisations

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 3 13:19:53 UTC 2008

Lc wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> After some discution about the last WP's sim restarts problems due to
> massive login while WP was still booting, I found we register the sim
> BEFORE starting the scripts. -> Opensim.opensimbase
>
> I made a patch to move the registration's process at the end of the sim
> booting (Patch and mantis will be written later today). This move should
> ease the "sim booting" process a little but it's definitivly not the
> solution.
>
> I think a better approach will be registering all the sims at the end of
> the boot sequence, just before the console creation : Opensim.opensim
> base.startup area.

The registration process should come early so that someone doesn't have to sit through the whole sim startup before it's
aborted because there's some problem registering the region.

However, registration does not actually allow login anyway.  Logins are enabled separately in the login service at the
very end of startup (after any script starting has been kicked off in separate threads).  See lines 429-430 in
OpenSimBase.Startup()

             // Only enable logins to the regions once we have completely finished starting up (apart from scripts)
             m_commsManager.GridService.RegionLoginsEnabled = true;

One could argue that it would be nice to only enable logins once all initial scripts had actually started up.  However,
I suspect this might be quite a hard thing to do since one then has to know that scripts are starting up because the
region server has been started, and not because they've just been loaded/created, etc.

> That move will let the system to cope with all the sim booting business
> before taking care of the users login.
>

> Another improvement will be an implementation of massive
> login defense system based on the userlevel. One of the approach would
> be allowing a defined userlevel for xx seconds, then another level and
> so forth...

This is starting to sound rather complicated.  What exactly are you trying to defend against?

If we do have any such strategies it would be really good to have them implemented as plugins of some description.

> Toughts ?
>

> Sm

justincc
Justin Clark-Casey