[Opensim-dev] Triage Help

Michael Wright michaelwri22 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 13 15:49:08 UTC 2008

yeah while we all can understand the "spreading the knowledge" principal. I'm not sure it is something we should try to force by assigning bugs to people who don't know that area of the code. While we don't want any person to own parts of the code, the fact remains that different people like to work on certain areas/fields. And wouldn't want to try to fix a bug in another area that they know nothing about. And most likely don't actually want to learn too much about that area.

So yeah while we do want the knowledge of the code to be spread a bit wider, I do think in general its best to use the strengths of the developer's knowledge.

Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote: On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 03:14:37PM +0100, Stefan Andersson wrote:

> We don't need percieved owners of code parts. Obviously, the mantis bugs aren't solved because people are more interested in working with features than fixing bugs. That's not going away because you assign stuff. Rather, it means that those bugs are zombies - living dead issues.
>
> Also, if anything, people should be assigned bugs in areas they don't
> know anything about, so we start spreading the knowledge.

One of my rationales in assigning bugs to area experts (and figuring out
the area experts up front) is mean time to solved bug is much smaller.

Take 551 as an example.  That's been out there for weeks.  I didn't
realize it was still an issue because it seemed like a simple sqlite
thing and people must have tracked it down by now.  Once I finally
looked at the bug it was a simple issue of removing two .Close() calls
on the sqlite connection.

This was simple to me, as I'd spent a lot of time with that code and
knew why a lot of it was in there, and that the internal Open() /
Close() calls weren't used in the same way.  Had I not known that code,
I wouldn't realize that the root issue is we were manually closing the
db connection.

I also don't want people to feel they "own" portions of the code.  But
if it takes me 30 minutes to realize "oh, yeh, easy fix", vs. letting
anyone solve it, and it not getting solved, I think we should err on the
easy fix side.

Anyway, area experts will be listed only if people are interested in
having their names on the list.  Not trying to force anyone into this,
just trying to help solving the easy problems. :)

     -Sean