[Opensim-dev] terrain and blank assets, do they need to be non temporary?

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 12 14:09:42 UTC 2008

Sean Dague wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 09:22:38AM +0000, Michael Wright wrote:
>
>> I would need to check what the blank assets are, but think they might
>> be baked textures. But anyway we have to remember that we have a
>> temporary flag and a local flag, and we need to treat them
>> differently. At the moment we treat temporary as though it means
>> local, when it shouldn't. Temporary should mean it gets sent to the
>> asset server but is only kept for a certain amount of time. Local
>> should mean a asset isn't sent to the asset server, but is only stored
>> locally. While having both local and temporary set to true, should
>> result in what we currently do for temporary assets, that is keep them
>> local and only around for a short period of time.
>>

> Does local need to survive a reboot?

Is there a use case for this?
> I think we also need to build in a reaper at some point, which looks for
> references to assets in the system, and deletes those not referenced.

It seems to me that there are two problems with reaping assets

1)  Many LSL functions allow you to reference assets directly by UUID,
so they could not be referenced in the database yet are still expected
to exist.

2)  In grid mode, currently disconnected regions may be references
assets in their region stores.  Checking whether any of these reference
an asset would be a difficult (if not effectively impossible) task.

--
justincc