[Opensim-dev] Script Event Tracking, ObjectFlags, Script States, and Collisions

Teravus Ovares teravus at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 02:36:38 UTC 2008

Hey there

Is there a way to track which events are active in a script?

Essentially here's my dilemma.   Collisions in Physics happen *often* and
quite rapidly.   Therefore, sending collision events from physics for all
collisions on all objects would bring the simulator to it's knees.
Therefore, it makes more sense to have an object register for collision
events with the physics engine.    At this point in time, I think that's
possible on script load.    Any prim with a script in it can say, "hey I
want collision updates".    However, wouldn't it make more sense to be able
to track which events a prim is actively using so that we can optimize
collision events to only go to scripts with the 'collision_start',
'collision_end' and 'collision' events?    Is there a way to do this without
access to the script source code? (as, in the future, I'm sure we won't
always have the source code)

Same topic, another vein.
Currently, ObjectFlags are not being set based on the supported events in
the script state.   For example...    objects should only have the touch
objectflag set if there's a script touch event, or the object is
physical.    Objects should only have the Pay pie menu option (Payable
objectflag) if the object has a script with a state that is active that has
a 'money' event.

Remember, these object flags are set depending on which events are used in
the active state.   The state does change and these objectflags should be
flipped accordingly.

Any thoughts on how to accomplish this?    :D   The script engine itself
(not the functions) is a place that I generally don't want to play in unless
I know exactly what I'm doing..  (which I don't when it comes to it).   Some
things like, collisions, payable objects, etc..   depend on this
functionality.

Best Regards

Teravus