[Opensim-dev] Thoughts....

dr scofield DrScofield at xyzzyxyzzy.net
Wed Mar 5 08:04:03 UTC 2008

Cristina Videira Lopes wrote:

> Burnman,
>

> Technically your comments are off, as Michael already pointed out.
> They are so off that I think they are directed at the Open Sourced LL
> viewer,  i.e. at the ability for clients to get complete information
> about the objects inworld to the point of being able to store them
> locally and to replicate them. Note that this has nothing to do with
> OpenSim, strictly speaking. But let me comment on that.
>

> [...]
>

> While the solution is technically feasible, what sense would it make
> to go around the world seeing garbage everywhere?? Plus anyone who
> wanted to see the decrypted objects would have to use an extended
> version of the LL viewer, one that does decryption. Not to mention the
> added performance overhead. … Again, I doubt massive adoption, but
> this could definitely be done, technically.

completely agree with that. the point of a virtual world is that you
*can see the virtual world* --- again, this is the core fallacy of DRM:
you want keep your content a secret but at the same you need to give
your customers access to the content otherwise why would they pay for it???

let face facts (and i'm repeating arguments others and i have made, i know):

    * clients will have to be told about the shape and texture of
      virtual world objects --- *otherwise they won't be able to render it*
    * scripts can be kept on server, clients don't get access to them
      (unless you own the object or share it)
    * in a future interconnected grid of grid (let's call that a virtual
      universe), you could add "permissions" that let you specify to
      which grids an object may be exported, that way you could say, i
      trust the LL grid, i don't trust dr scofield's grid because, oh, i
      don't know, she doesn't agree with me on DRM and VW ;-)

that last approach will have consequences for your customers though:
they won't be able to take the objects they bought from you with them to
dr scofield's grid. some won't care, some won't like it --- and probably
not be return customers. but that then is something you as a content
provider have to come to terms with.

    cheers,
    dr scofield

--
dr dirk husemann, mathmatics and computer science, ibm zurich research lab
SL: dr scofield ---- drscofield at xyzzyxyzzy.net ---- http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/