[Opensim-dev] Thoughts....

Cristina Videira Lopes lopes at ics.uci.edu
Tue Mar 4 20:47:48 UTC 2008

Burnman,

Technically your comments are off, as Michael already pointed out. They are
so off that I think they are directed at the Open Sourced LL viewer,  i.e.
at the ability for clients to get complete information about the objects
inworld to the point of being able to store them locally and to replicate
them. Note that this has nothing to do with OpenSim, strictly speaking. But
let me comment on that.

All clients get that information, or else they wouldn't be able to render
it; there is no way around that:  a representation of the couch you see on
your screen must be sent to your computer, period. In a context where you do
want to show your objects to the world, ensuring that people don't use the
LL viewer to "steal" them is impossible with technology alone.

Other contexts are possible, however. One could add a PGP feature in which
all inworld objects would be encrypted with their owner's private key, so
they looked like garbage for everyone, except for those clients who had the
object owner's public key. There's a neat research project right there! I
bet it could be added very easily :-)

While the solution is technically feasible, what sense would it make to go
around the world seeing garbage everywhere?? Plus anyone who wanted to see
the decrypted objects would have to use an extended version of the LL
viewer, one that does decryption. Not to mention the added performance
overhead. . Again, I doubt massive adoption, but this could definitely be
done, technically.

I'm on the camp that thinks that these kinds of *technological* solutions
are silly, paranoid, and ultimately unreliable, because given enough
motivation to break the encryption, it will be broken. But at the same time
I have a lot of sympathy for your position. One cute thing about LL's SL is
that it enabled ordinary people to suddenly feel like famous entrepreneurs
and millionaires, simply by creating virtual objects that other people want.
This is part of the fantasy-game designed by LL, along with the forced
pseudonyms, the Linden "dollars", etc. I understand you want to protect that
feeling, and someone ought to protect it. I sincerely hope that will survive
in some grids, because it's empowering! Technology is the wrong approach to
do it, though, it has to be something else.

However, if these fantasies are all there is to the metaverse, we'll be in
really bad shape. We might as well wrap-up OpenSim altogether, and let LL
continue to do its thing.

Crista / Diva

University of California, Irvine

<off topic>

The thought of going around a virtual world where everything is garbage due
to encryption is a powerful, almost artistic, visualization of real-world
paranoia and distrust. Picasso's Guernica comes to mind.

</off topic>