[Opensim-dev] Thoughts....

Dalien Talbot dalienta at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 21:34:10 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 9:45 PM, Stefan Andersson <stefan at tribalmedia.se>
wrote:

> On a side note, I believe we'd all rather have an as disorganized but
> well-used 3D web as our current 2D web, than an as organized but long
> forgotten 2D web as for example Xanadu. Need I say 'VRML'?

I think I miss gopher quite a lot - it was so well organized :-)

On a more serious note:

I *do* respect the IP rights - and see the difference the "community funding
on tips" vs. the potentially "commercial project" can make in income in the
current society - it is enormous - I can tell that from the first hand
experience with the primskirtbuilder in SL. (It's just that I had other
reasons to do that thing  non-commercial, wanted to experiment, and  my own
integrity, reputation  and piece of mind is worth to me more than a 5-digit
dollar value. :-)

I might be in part faulty for the wrong impressions that some folks have got
from my blogging - purely because my enjoyment from the opensim - beyond
putting the small pieces of code very infrequently - is using the model it
provides for performing the mental experiments of how the world *could* be.
How the connected society *could* be. How the online money *could be*. How
the humans *could be*, in the end. Different. Apologies if anyone has
misunderstood those as a matter of "Official OpenSim goals".

However, in my opinion, this is where the SL has not exploited its immense
potential - to be a place where the humanity can try the possible new
different ways of organizing itself. Without the people being shot and
loosing the homes. Without the countries' economies collapsing.

Some 10-ish years ago I was a witness of my country's currency value losing
2 digits (so for each of your 100 dollars you had only 1 after the exercise)
over a period of 1 week - and that was the *real* currency, not the linden
dollars. In a country with the population of over 100 million.
I know people who were saving to buy a house, and ended up with an amount
barely enough to live till the end of the month.

And I've witnessed the only savings that a lot of naive old people have put
into a ponzi scheme advertized on national TV, vanish, as that ponzi scheme
collapsed - and the organizer was never publicly prosecuted.

And I've seen the folks from the street being beaten up by the "national
guards" because they did not like how they their faces looked like.

Making my own mental experiments about how the world could look like - this
is what "My world, my imagination" translates into - for me personally, that
is.

This mail does not represent any "official opensim" point of view nor
attempts to diminish the content creators in SL - it just an explanation of
why I think the way I think, rather than just giving the impression of
merely a "communist tekkie". :-)

/d