[Opensim-dev] Proposal to eliminate the name, description and invType fields from the assets db table

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Mon Jun 23 18:51:58 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 07:44:04PM +0100, Melanie wrote:
> Hi,
> > No, if we used inventory generations like I said, it would be a single
> > database update:
> >
> > update inventoryitems set assetid=STOPSTEALINGTEXTURES where generation=STOLENGENERATION;
> >

> Again, this will cover only agent inventory. not use of textures in
> clothing. Not use of textures on prims. Not asset UUIDs in scripts.
>
> > We need to seperate out the use case people want to support from the way
> > one implements it in Linden land today.  I very much understand your use
> > case, and want to support it in the system, as it will be important to
> > some people.  However, I don't think the best way to do that is keeping
> > the random UUID model that exists today.
>
> I believe one UUID per upload is a must. Coalescing the actual
> binary data to save space (20000 users uploading the same free
> texture from the internet) is a worthy goal. But the price of
> coalescing the Asset IDs is too high. Really high. Like, six-figures
> high. In legal fees, worst case.
>
> Even though Linden didn't implement the optimum in most things, they
> have taken care to have at least the ability to comply with a court
> order.  I don't think it's wise to completely remove this ability from
> OpenSim.
>
> I am very much willing to pay for expanding hard disk space if
> necessary - sure more willing to do that than to throw money to
> attorneys!

I don't understand how your approach deals with sniffing the wire or the
cache, finding the asset UUID, and just embedding that in you items or
scripts.

You need to either care about ownership of assets a lot, in which case
you want every asset reference to generate a new asset so you can track
them, or you don't, and you assume you can track enough on the inventory
front.  The middle ground seems to be really silly.  Doesn't solve the
take down problem, and just continues to force a lot of cruft into the
system.

Anyway, it's a little moot for right now, as the current system is
there.  But I really think the way forward involves us using a hashing
strategy.  Once we dig in there, we'll see how hard it would be to make
UUID generation runtime configurable.  And keep this in mind.

    -Sean