[Opensim-dev] Proposal to eliminate the name, description and invType fields from the assets db table

Melanie melanie at t-data.com
Mon Jun 23 18:44:04 UTC 2008

Hi,
> No, if we used inventory generations like I said, it would be a single
> database update:
>
> update inventoryitems set assetid=STOPSTEALINGTEXTURES where generation=STOLENGENERATION;

Again, this will cover only agent inventory. not use of textures in
clothing. Not use of textures on prims. Not asset UUIDs in scripts.

> We need to seperate out the use case people want to support from the way
> one implements it in Linden land today.  I very much understand your use
> case, and want to support it in the system, as it will be important to
> some people.  However, I don't think the best way to do that is keeping
> the random UUID model that exists today.

I believe one UUID per upload is a must. Coalescing the actual
binary data to save space (20000 users uploading the same free
texture from the internet) is a worthy goal. But the price of
coalescing the Asset IDs is too high. Really high. Like, six-figures
high. In legal fees, worst case.

Even though Linden didn't implement the optimum in most things, they
have taken care to have at least the ability to comply with a court
order.
I don't think it's wise to completely remove this ability from OpenSim.

I am very much willing to pay for expanding hard disk space if
necessary - sure more willing to do that than to throw money to
attorneys!

Melanie