[Opensim-dev] Proposal to eliminate the name, description and invType fields from the assets db table

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Mon Jun 23 18:16:41 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 06:13:13PM +0100, Melanie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sean Dague wrote:
> > Let's seperate the use case you have, from the way you would implement
> > it on top of the existing system, which is wasteful in a bunch of ways.
> > The use case is to track inventory generations of the same asset.  I
> > think that would be much better done by adding a field to inventory
> > which is seeded on a new upload.  Inventory transfers/copies keep that
> > seed.
>
> That would only handle agent inventory. It would not handle textures
> applied to prims, or used in clothing, or audio files referenced by
> UUID from a script. Basically any asset that gets detached from
> inventory becomes untraceable.
>
> The problem is this:
>
> User A uploads a texture. She creates a skin, which she sells.
>
> User B uses a ripper to clone the appearance of a person wearing
> that skin. They extract the texture, and download it.
>
> They then proceeed to reupload the texture, create a skin from it,
> and sell that.
>
> Person A files a DMCA complaint, which results in a takedown order.
> If upload coalescing were in effect, those skins would use the same
> UUID. There would be no way to destroy the skins that were created
> from the copy and leave the ones created by the original creator
> unharmed.
>
> If one upload = one asset, all I need is to replace the image data
> with a "missing image", or, as Neb suggested, "Missing Ethics"
> bitmap. All items created from it are instantaneously unwearable.
>
> All builds a stolen building texture is used on would then show that
> replacement image, e.g. be unusable. The DMCA takedown would be
> compiled with.
>
> With coalescing, there is no way that can be done, I would have to
> remove the asset, which will destroy all builds/items created by the
> legitimate creator as well. She would have a lot of very angry
> customers.

No, if we used inventory generations like I said, it would be a single
database update:

update inventoryitems set assetid=STOPSTEALINGTEXTURES where generation=STOLENGENERATION;

We need to seperate out the use case people want to support from the way
one implements it in Linden land today.  I very much understand your use
case, and want to support it in the system, as it will be important to
some people.  However, I don't think the best way to do that is keeping
the random UUID model that exists today.

    -Sean