[Opensim-dev] Groups and using our sims more

Mike Mazur mmazur at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 08:16:49 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Kyle Hamilton <aerowolf at gmail.com> wrote:
> why can't we implement XMPP's group, messaging, and presence
> notifications?  It might break backward compatibility with the current
> MessageServer, but it seems to be essentially already a solved
> problem.
>
> XMPP also has the added benefit that anyone can be a server on the
> XMPP network.

I second this. From what I understand, XMPP is optimized to deliver
small snippets of information, any information, to many concurrent
users effectively.

Looking forward I see a distributed model (HyperGrid) for virtual
worlds, so the messaging system should also be distributed. I believe
XMPP's got that solved with its decentralized servers.

Isn't there already some XMPP module sitting in our source tree?

Mike